Monday, September 16, 2019

One Man, 96 Pints of Blood Donated: Meet American Red Cross Hero, Bill Tito

By Clarice Nassif Ransom, American Red Cross Volunteer

Name: Bill Tito
Resides: Arlington, Virginia
Profession: Retired after working in the Human Resources field with the Department of Agriculture (24 years) and the Department of Transportation (13 years)

UPDATE: As of May 2020, Bill Tito has officially donated his 100th pint! 

“I’m planning to keep donating blood in my 70s and hope to give 120+ times. I encourage everyone to donate blood. It’s almost certain that someone they know will need blood someday.”

Meet Bill Tito. In September 2019, Bill will be donating his 95th and 96th pints of blood to the American Red Cross. Donating blood is a lifelong habit for Bill who hopes to donate more than 120 pints of blood during his lifetime.

“One thing I’d tell people is how easy it is to give blood as the American Red Cross holds blood drives everywhere, all the time,” said Bill. “I’ve never had a problem or issue while donating blood. I gave most often at work, but now that I’m retired, I give at local churches here in Arlington or at the American Red Cross Center in downtown Washington, D.C.”

Bill first began donating blood when he was 18 years old.

“I was working at a retail brass shop, and the owners encouraged everyone to donate blood,” said Bill. “Since they gave everyone who donated the afternoon off, I decided to give it a go! It was painless and easy.”

 Bill Tito with his mother, whose cancer
diagnosis reenergized Bill’s efforts to donate blood.
 
Bill continued, “I donated blood 2-3 times a year for about the next 20 years, first at college blood drives and then at my government job when the American Red Cross came. I remember that there were two gentlemen at the agency (Department of Agriculture) who had a friendly competition going to see who could donate the most blood. They both had donated blood more than 80 times. Since my blood donations at the time were in the 30s, I couldn’t even imagine giving blood 80 times. They were quite an inspiration.”

Bill’s habit of regularly donating blood waned after his children were born and resurged after his mother found out she had cancer.

“My mother developed Lymphoma and had to get several blood transfusions,” said Bill. “That caused me to start giving regularly again. Also, about 25 years ago, I was told I had rare blood. Even though I have O Positive (the most common blood type, which is the most in-demand), I apparently have rare enzymes in my blood. I’m told that they like to give my blood to newborns and cancer patients. I like to think my donations are helping others.”

About 3 years ago Bill started giving “Double Red” donations, where he donates two units of red blood cells during one donation session. The platelets and plasma are returned to Bill.

“Red blood cells are the most frequently used blood component and are most needed,” said Bill. “Double Red blood donations means I give every 112 days instead of every 56 days.”

Bill concluded, “I like giving blood and the Red Cross does an excellent job of making it a good experience.”



To donate blood, check out the American Red Cross blood donation web site at RedCrossBlood.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment