Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Water Safety Month: Summer Safety

By Rose Ellen O'Connor, Volunteer

I didn’t know how close I was to drowning.

Pictured: Volunteer Rose Ellen (left) and
her daughter, Katie Rose.
Ten-years-old, slathered with suntan lotion, I was paddling out to sea on an oversized beachball, relishing the bumpy waves and the alone time. I’m the fifth of six siblings. All of a sudden, I heard a lifeguard say, “Hold on, Honey.” He handed me an innertube and began dragging me back to shore.  When I turned around I was amazed at how far I had drifted out. It seemed each time he pulled me closer to the shore, a wave would take us back out.

Finally, after a 10-minute struggle, he got me back to shore. I was embarrassed to see people standing in the sand as far as I could see watching my rescue. But it could have been a lot worse. I could have drowned. I had violated at least two of Red Cross’s water safety rules. I had swum without a buddy, who might have noticed how far out we were getting, and I’d gone far out of the designated safety area for the beach.

According to a survey released by the Red Cross last month, nearly half of all Americans said they have had an occasion where they thought they might drown. Yet they said they are going to engage in risky behaviors this summer that put them again at risk of drowning. Just over 60 percent of families with children said they plan on swimming in areas unsupervised by life guards even though 50 percent have never had swimming lessons.

Two thirds of those surveyed said they thought that putting inflatable arm bands or “water wings” on children is enough to keep them safe. To be truly safe, children and inexperienced swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard approved life jackets. Children should always be closely supervised by adults.

Nine out of 10 survey respondents were unsure what to do if someone appears to be drowning. The Red Cross says the correct steps in order are to shout for help, throw the person a flotation device and tell them to grab it and then call 9-1-1 if needed.

Water aficionados should know the signs of a swimmer in distress. According to the Red Cross, they are:

  • Treading water and waving an arm
  • Doggie paddling with no forward progress
  • Hanging onto a safety line
  • Floating on back and waving arms
  • Arms extended side or front, pressing down for support, but making no forward progress
  • Positioned vertically in the water, but not kicking legs
  • Underwater for more than 30 seconds
  • Floating at surface, face-down, for more than 30 seconds

Here are some safety tips from the Red Cross:

  • Swim in areas supervised by lifeguards.
  • Always sSwimwim with a buddy.
  • Never leave a young child unattended around water.
  • Even if you don’t plan on swimming, be careful around natural bodies of water, including ocean shoreline, rivers and lakes. Cold temperatures, currents and underwater hazards can make a fall into these bodies of water dangerous. 
  • When boating, wear a life jacket.
  • Avoid alcohol use.

The Red Cross offers swimming lessons for those aged six months to adults. The lessons offer a lifetime of safe and confident swimming. For more information contact the training support center at 1-800-RED-CROSS or support@redcrosstraining.org. You can also ask about Red Cross swimming lessons at your local aquatic center or your local Red Cross chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment