Monday, May 17, 2021

I Am Asian and An American Red Cross Volunteer

by Jenny Chang, Communications Volunteer

I am an Asian-American. I rejoined the American Red Cross during a time of major unrest and instability towards the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community because beyond what I look like, I am a person. And as a human being, I have an interest in helping and connecting with other people in times of need, regardless of their race, religion or economic background.

Being a part of the Red Cross allows all people to be there to support one another during a crisis—plain and simple. Why? Because a crisis affects everybody whether it be a natural disaster or a community fire, and in times like these most people just want to help each other.

Jenny (with friend Shay Fu) as a Disaster Action Team Member
with Red Cross New York Region in 2010

Personally, it hurts me to know that in the past year, people of my own racial background have been targets of blame for what is essentially a time of crisis with the coronavirus spreading around the world. I have become very saddened by these reactions that are without merit. COVID-19 is an international public health crisis causing devastation to 219 countries, affecting more than 148 million people and caused the deaths of more than 3 million people. It requires a global response to stop its spread and people helping people to bring hope to one another.

As a humanitarian, I want to be a source of positive connection during these challenging times. What I’ve always valued about being part of the Red Cross was the fact that volunteers literally came from all kinds of backgrounds. However, the one thing we all had in common was the need to band together and be there for people in need, whatever and wherever that need may be. No questions asked.

In fact these beliefs are based on two of the seven Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross:
  • ImpartialityIt makes no discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions. It endeavors to relieve the suffering of individuals, being guided solely by their needs, and to give priority to the most urgent cases of distress.
  • UniversalityThe Red Cross is a worldwide institution in which all societies have equal status and share equal responsibilities and duties in helping each other.
I missed being around people who believe in these principles and who are open, filled with good, and are just wonderful human beings. These are the people I relate to, no matter what I look like. I am proud to be Asian, proud to be a humanitarian, and honored to be part of an organization dedicated to helping everyone in need.

I know that while I am interacting with the public through the Red Cross, I may come across people – even those that I might be trying to help – who might think otherwise. But that is OK and it won’t stop me from continuing to support them because if they ever are in need of Red Cross assistance, I also know that particular crisis is about them, their need and their losses. And I would want them to understand that I am there for them, no matter what they may feel.

For me, rejoining the Red Cross and interacting with the public as a humanitarian is my way of telling society that I may be Asian, but I am also a person who chooses to be there to help others through their darkest days. And no matter the circumstances, I will extend my hand to help everyone and hopefully bring comfort that we can get through this together.

__________________________________________

May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, a month where we recognize the contributions and influence of Asian Americans and Pacific Islander Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can join the Red Cross too. Click here to become a Red Cross volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment